Errors trying to deliver to cyrus imap

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 01:51:29 EST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:24:35 -0800, H. Scott Brown <hs.brown at smius.com> wrote:
> Hi, List,
>
> I am getting the following error message in my logs:
>
> Jan 17 14:50:44 smtp sendmail[3455]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] j0HJG6kr001624:
> SYSERR(root): makeconnection_ds: unsafe domain socket /var/imap/socket/lmtp
> Jan 17 14:50:44 smtp sendmail[3455]: [ID 801593 mail.info] j0HJG6kr001624:
> to=<foo.bar at smius.com>, delay=03:34:37, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=cyrusv2,
> pri=1470639, relay=localhost, dsn=4.3.5, stat=Deferred: Group writable
> directory
>
> Foo.bar is a valid local email address, set up for dummy testing. What is
> unsafe domain socket?

Try reading the entire error message: "Group writable directory".
Check the permissions of /var, /var/imap and /var/imap/socket.

> Also, the file /var/imap/socket/lmtp was set as owner root group root by the
> install/setup. Should this be cyrus/mail?

If you take a closer look, lmtp is a socket, not a file.  It's created
when you run cyrus.

All this, of course, makes large assumptions as you didn't say what OS
or what version of Cyrus you're running...

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor