Authenticated LMTP, was Re: Send (bcc) mail from Postfix to public folder

Paolo Negri p_negri at modiano.com
Fri Jan 21 04:02:17 EST 2005

If you're using postfix

server:~ # man lmtp
[CUT]
Authentication controls
        lmtp_sasl_auth_enable
               Enable  per-session  authentication as per RFC 2554
               (SASL).  By default, Postfix is built without  SASL
               support.

        lmtp_sasl_password_maps
               Lookup tables with per-host or domain name:password
               entries.  No entry for a host means no  attempt  to
               authenticate.

        lmtp_sasl_security_options
               Zero or more of the following.

               noplaintext
                      Disallow  authentication  methods  that  use
                      plaintext passwords.

               noactive
                      Disallow  authentication  methods  that  are
                      vulnerable to non-dictionary active attacks.

               nodictionary
                      Disallow  authentication  methods  that  are
                      vulnerable to passive dictionary attack.

               noanonymous
                      Disallow anonymous logins.
[CUT]

With these settings you can make authenticated connections on lmtpd.

Bye

Paolo