Outlook Express, Cyrus, and altnamespace

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed Jan 19 15:50:25 EST 2005

Is it possible to get Outlook Express work properly with "altnamspace:
off"?  (OK, I know that it is hard to place "Outlook Express" and "work
properly" in same sentence, but let ignore that for a second).

 From what I've managed to get working (or not working) so far with
altnamespace turned off, it looks like this:

By default, Sent Items and Drafts folders are not usable.  Seems that OE
can't use "INBOX.Sent Items", it must have "Sent Items".  Attempt to
define folder for Sent Items as "INBOX.Sent Items" in OE settings
results in message saying that folder names can't contain slash,
backslash and dot characters.

If I set "root folder path" option to "INBOX" in OE account config, than
it can use Sent Items and Drafts (since now OE internally transforms
them into top level folders).  However, now I can't see or access shared
folders and other user's folders (only folders under my INBOX folder are
visible).

Another thing is that when exiting from OE, it attempts to recheck all
folders for new messages.  If "root folder path" is set, it fails to
authenticate (!?) and I need to retype the password.

Question.  Is enabling altnamespace the only way to fully support
Outlook Express clients?