Outlook Express, Cyrus, and altnamespace

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Fri Jan 21 01:24:28 EST 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
>
>> This boils down to: if you want your users to share certain folders,
>> make up your mind - either have them under "user.*" hierarchy or
>> "shared.*". I will also add that Mozilla works flawlessly. But
>> mozilla still lacks GSSAPI authentication, so I'm forced to use OE.
>

> Hmmm...  I thought that OE dosn't do GSSAPI/Kerberos thing either?  I
> found some references that Outlook can use Kerberos authentication
> against Exchange server (but I haven't attempted to test if it will work
> with "normal" IMAP server, still on my low priority TODO list).  But
> nothing about Outlook Express.  Is there some special option somewhere
> to set?

I have only heard of this, a guy who implemented MS ADS, Cyrus IMAP and
OE. He claims it works without a glitch. I believe that the mysterious
option is "Use Secure Password Authhentication". In machines that are
not a part of ADS, but are a part of NT4 domain, it activates NTLM. And
if you recall SPNEGO implementation in MS products will try GSS-PAI (or
SSPI-API?) and if it fails, NTLM. So, I guess that is the right track to
follow.

> BTW, does Outlook (as opposed to Outlook Express) handles "altnamespace:
> off" and shared folders properly?

Search me...

Nix.