Sieve Authentication Fails

Per-Olov Sjöholm pos at incedo.org
Sat Feb 5 16:36:40 EST 2005

On Thursday 03 February 2005 23.24, Dan Perez wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I see that this question has been posted before, but I don't see a clear
> answer, so forgive me.  Any leads would be appreciated.
>
> I'm running cyrus 2.2.10, on RHEL 3.0.  It works great.  Now I want to
> start using sieve... but I can't get sieveshell to connect to the server
> and I don't understand why.
>
> [root at app1 log]# sieveshell -u cyrus localhost
> connecting to localhost
> Please enter your password:
> unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 169, <STDIN> line
> 1.
>

> my imapd conf:
> configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
> partition-default: /var/spool/imap
> admins: cyrus
> sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
> sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
> hashimapspool: true
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
> tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
> tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
> tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
>
> saslauthd is running w/ -a pam
>
> Authentication works fine for the IMAP server, cyradm.
>
> Sieve is listening...
> [root at app1 log]# telnet localhost sieve
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-8"
> "SASL" "PLAIN"
> "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
> relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
> "STARTTLS"
> OK
>

> Heck, I even get sieve headers in my emails...
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
> Dan
>

> ---

Hi

See my attached /etc/imad.conf file.... Take an extra look at the row
"allowplaintext". There are maybe other ways around the problem. But I have
not found any (yet)... So "allowplaintext: yes"  is needed for sieve logins
to work. If TLS is required the sieve login will fail. That was  the case
with earlier realeases...  Now I use 2.2.10 and have not checked if sieve
works with TLS.

--snip--
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: root cyradm admin1 admin2
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes --> NEED THIS FOR SIEVE LOGIN THAT FAILS OTHERWISE
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
quotawarn: 90
servername:MY_FQDN_IMAP_HOST
sievedir: /var/sieve
sieve_maxscripts: 20
timeout: 240
sievenotifier: mailto
mailnotifier: mailto
altnamespace: 1
berkeley_cachesize: 8192
postmaster: MY_PRIVATE_EMAIL at MY_DOMAIN
sharedprefix: Shared Folders
userprefix: Other Users
imapidlepoll: 60
tls_cert_file: /var/imap/server.pem
tls_key_file: /var/imap/server.pem
tls_ca_file: /var/imap/server.pem
--snip--

Hope this could be of any help.

Regards
/Per-Olov
--
GPG keyID: 4DB283CE
GPG fingerprint: 45E8 3D0E DE05 B714 D549 45BC CFB4 BBE9 4DB2 83CE