Cyrus and Usenet

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Feb 24 09:36:13 EST 2005

kael wrote:

> On 08.02.2005 02:28, kael wrote:
>
>> I wish to use the _push_ method, as described in
>> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/imapd/install-netnews.html.
>

> I have been searching but haven't ben able to deliver NetNews via Cyrus.
>
> imapd.conf is managed with the following lines:
>
> partition-news: /var/spool/imap/news
> newsspool: /var/spool/news
> newspeer: news-in.newsfeeds.com:119 news-out.newsfeeds.com:119
> newsprefix: Usenet
>
> I then ran /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/nntpd but no articles are delivered in
> the correponding mailboxes e.g. Usenet/comp.mail.imap.
>
> Please, could you help me ?

The newsspool option is deprecated and not needed.

Have you created the "Usenet.comp.mail.imap" mailbox on your "news"
partition (/var/spool/imap/news) and given at least the "anonymous" user
  the "p" right?  You probably want to grant your newsgroups "anyone lrsp".

Have you told your news provider to send you articles?

Do you have a local NNTP client that can access your Cyrus server and
LIST newsgroups and POST articles (you can do this with nntptest if you
know how to use NNTP manually)?  If not, you need to fix this before
worrying about accepting articles from the outside.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127