Managing IMAP book

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Feb 11 09:35:01 EST 2005

Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> Do you know if they are dropping the c-client library as well? That's part
> of uw-imap and used by, for example, php-imap.

No, c-client will be there.  RHEL4 is very close in package list to
Fedora Core 3.  Many packages that need IMAP API use c-client library,
so it will probably stay as separate component for a long time.

FC3 and RHEL4 include two IMAP servers, Dovecot and Cyrus.  Dovecot
seems to be the choice for small installations and/or novice admins that
were using wu-imapd on older distributions.  Basically it is drop-in
replacement for uw-imapd.  Cyrus is included for admins that need
advanced IMAP server.

Anyhow, I hope that this inclusion will warrant new book.  More people
will probably try out Cyrus now that it comes neatly packaged with
reasonable default configuration files.  Plus, it seems that many people
do not know that Dovecot is IMAP server ;-)