Cyrus folder list takes a very long time to return

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Fri Feb 11 21:14:58 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 12:47, Gavin Kelman wrote:

> So the questions are:
>
> 1) Why does '. list "" *' take so long to return a list of folders?
> There are only 30 folders in my mailbox.

have you tried lsub "" *

list will list ALL folders, lsub will list only subscribed folders.
another thing to look at would be what DB format you used for your
mailboxes.db when you compiled cyrus. it SHOULD be skiplist, if it's
not, then that could be the problem.

> 2) Squirrelmail, Outlook and Thunderbird seem to pick up the list
> of folder instantly, with no delay. How come? Caching may certainly
> be an issue, but I've tried to eliminate this.

I bet most of those do cache the folder listings on their end. Horde can
do this now in the horde 3/imp 4 release, but you have to enable it in
the IMP configuration.  Also seting up the imapproxy
(http://www.imapporoxy.org) for any webmail app would be a good thing.

> 3) Am I (and therefore Horde/IMP/PHP/C-client libs) using the right
> command to list the mailbox folders? Is there some cyrus specific
> command to list them quickly?
It's the standard IMAP4rev1 command to list folders.. there's only two
ways to get a folder listing, list and lsub.

--
Edward Rudd <eddie at omegaware.com>
Website http://www.outoforder.cc/