Hardware RAID Level & Performance

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 04:47:50 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Jure [ISO-8859-2] Pe_ar wrote:

> Has anyone any expirience with Aplle Xserve RAID offer? It seems to be
> the cheapest of the bunch.

One of my collegues has a couple of Xserve RAIDs. Very shiny.

The main problem seems to be that you need two separate RAID controllers
(one for each group of seven disks), but there is no option for failover
between the two RAID controllers. I'm told that monitoring from a Linux
host is a bit painful, I'm sure that it works fine with an Apple host.

We have one of the following boxes on our tape streaming system:

  http://www.infortrend.com/a16f_g.asp

which seems to work nicely (16x250 GBytes in 3U). I see they are offering
SATA II boxes now; I would hope that means Native Command Queuing.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.