Hardware RAID Level & Performance

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Feb 17 18:42:40 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Norman Zhang wrote:
> Do you have some figures?

>From the top of my head, about 4MB/s write and 10-30MB/s reading on a 5-disc
RAID5 array.  If that's enough for your needs, go for it.  Linux software
RAID can do better than that (but it eats some CPU *and* it doesn't drive
the SAFTE enclosure, nor can it do global hot-spares...)

> >You will notice Intel itself stopped with this sillyness and their newer
> >zero-channel adapters feature 128MB of DDR333 RAM and a IOP-321
> >processor...
>
> Thanks. I'll look into that. I'm not sure if support is already added to
> the 2.6.x kernel. Most of us run Cyrus on Linux/BSD, right?

*All* Intel hardware RAID adapters look the same to the OS, AFAIK. So yes,
it is supported by Linux 2.4 and 2.6, and very well supported at that.

  Henrique Holschuh