Basic FAQs and HOWTOs

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 15 20:02:47 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 16:11 -0500, Earl R Shannon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Google for Naked Ape Consulting. Seems like I remember them/him posting
> something in the last week or so about some work that's been done on
> some documentation. It should be in the list archives also.
----
I'm struggling too but at a different stage...

the links referred to of Wil Cooley's

There's also a (still very rudimentary) example here:

http://nakedape.cc/info/Cyrus-IMAP-HOWTO/quickstart.html#id2900018

and here:

http://nakedape.cc/info/Cyrus-IMAP-HOWTO/quickstart-
fedora.html#id2900732

Wil

----
my problem...

# testsaslauthd -u cyrus -p PASSWD
0: OK "Success."

$ /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/imtest localhost
S: * OK srv1.tobyhouse.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-11
server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
STARTTLS LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {6}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0

but where the same 'cyrus' user and cyrus password is embedded in to
'horde' I get these errors. ( I have changed from MECH=shadow to
MECH=pam in /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd RHEL ) but that only changes the
explanation in /var/log/messages...

Feb 15 17:51:29 srv1 imap(pam_unix)[22354]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=cyrus
Feb 15 17:51:31 srv1 saslauthd[22354]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=cyrus] [service=imap] [realm=] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]

Something in greater depth than Wil's site would be appreciated - he
doesn't cover what to do if it ain't workin' and at the moment, that
would seem to be a good topic for a couple of us.

Craig