Horde/IMP authentication to Cyrus via client certificates?

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Thu Feb 17 22:07:09 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Edward Rudd wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:18:07 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Any thoughts on how difficult it would be to get Cyrus IMAP to accept a
>> client certificate, validate it and automatically "log in" the user once
>> that is done? I'll happily contribute the code back to CMU if I get it
>> working, but I though I'd ask the gurus for their opinions before I
>> tried to tackle it :-)

SASL/EXTERNAL is what you want although I have to not tried it.  OpenLDAP
works great.  In theory, the CN part of the client certitificate subject
needs to be a valid mailbox.  You can test this with imtest -t
client_cert_file -m EXTERNAL ....  I assume that you have SSL/TLS working.

Your bigger issue is to find a client that supports SASL/EXTERNAL.  I do
not believe c-client library (this is what drives IMP/Horde via PHP)
supports SASL/EXTERNAL, so this is what you need to start hacking.

--
Igor