Delete folders via another IMAP client

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Fri Feb 18 12:37:19 EST 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 00:53 -0500, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>

>>Using Cyrus IMAP 2.1.10 (FreeBSD port), I'm able to create folders
>>within my account, but cannot delete them.
>>
>>The mailbox was created via standard cyradm:
>>
>>cyradm --user admin my.domain.com
>> > cm user/username
>>
>>Perhaps I missed a step here - I assume that creating a mailbox will
>>permit for full access in the ACL.
>>
>>But the problem may actually be connected to this error I'm unable to
>>resolve:
>>
>>imap[000]: no user in db
>>
>>(same for imaps)
>>
>>But looking with sasldblistusers2, I find everything intact as it should
>>be.  I'm using Thunderbird as the IMAP client (recent build).
>>

>----
>forget the client for a moment...
>
>Are you trying to create users/mailboxes that aren't posixAccounts?

The goal is to have IMAPD authentication become symbiotic with SASL2,
separate from posixAccounts.  I am using Postfix (presently!) as the MTA
and I configured:

    /usr/local/lib/smtpd.conf:

    pwcheck_method: auxprop

>Then I would assume that sasldb would be the place for them but I have
>always used local account setup. It would seem that you need to be
>consistent when you create their accounts with saslpassword and cyrus
>account creation.

Correct.  I want to enable the mail subsystem to not rely upon
/etc/passwd for anything.  I also host a couple of domains here, for
which the recipients don't need to be in /etc/passwd.

>you can check acl's of mailboxes - I do this by...
>
>su - cyrus -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyradm localhost'
>lam user.username #perhaps with unix hierachy, lam user/username
>lam user.username.subfolder_name
>
>you can change acl's
>sam user.username
>sam user.username.subfolder_name
>
>this allows you to check and if necessary (which I suspect via
>inheritance shouldn't be necessary to fool with subfolders, you want
>them to be different).

The permissions on the mailbox, created via "cm" in cyradm are:

    pc.mydom.com> lam user/forrie
    forrie lrswipcda

now that seems correct and it should allow me to remove the sub-folders
I create.

>Lot's of mail client software won't let you delete the 'current'
>folder...i.e. if you select the INBOX and the contents are viewed, you
>can delete another folder by right clicking the folder and selecting
>delete.

I know what you're saying here.  However, I've attempted to delete this
new folder "Test" via the same method an it won't budge.

This in lieu of the errors I encountered (ie: imaps: no user in db) made
me think there's an issue somewhere with authentication.  But I'm new to
Cyrus, so I'm still figuring some of this out ;-)

Thank you,

Forrest