Postfix+Cyrus - Blank message-id: header results in bounced mail??

Matt Goebel mgoebel at workforcesoftware.com
Wed Feb 23 15:55:42 EST 2005

I've noticed a problem with postfix+cyrus.  When you send a message with
a blank message-id header it gets bounced back with an "Invalid header"
message.  This is a problem because I've had people complain they can't
send legitimate email to our mail server.  It appears to be an issue of
lotus notes being broken.. (only happens with people using lotus notes).
However, cyrus SHOULD still accept this messages.  I've tested postfix
+dovecot, yahoo mail, and gmail and all of those accept messages with
blank message-id's fine.  Is there someway to fix this?

Here's what shows up in /var/log/maillog:

Feb 23 14:05:48 Sandbox postfix/pipe[15549]:
A252E1E96F3:to=<testuser.mydomain.tld at mydomain.tld>,orig_to=<testuser at mydomain.tld>,relay=cyrus,delay=4,status=bounced(data format error. Command output: testuser.mydomain.tld: Message contains invalid header )

>From master.cf:

flags= user=cyrus argv=/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/deliver -r ${sender} -m
${extension} ${user}