--with-auth only for group memberships?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Feb 24 11:48:56 EST 2005

Igor Brezac wrote:

> --auth-auth specifies an authorization (not authentication) mechanism.
> The unix module is mostly useful for group.

OK, yeah, authorization vs. authentication, right. Since SASL cannot
provide authorization details, Cyrus IMAP has to get them from somewhere
else, so that's understandable.

> This is not correct.  unix_group_enable is used only when you compile
> the unix authorization mechanism, otherwise it has not effect.

Understood. I'll continue using the combination of --with-auth=unix and
unix_group_enable turned off, which will keep Cyrus IMAP from caring
about group memberships (and looking at my passwd/group files).