[RFC] EXTERNAL auth choosing between CN and email address?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Feb 24 02:04:43 EST 2005

I'm working on a webmail system using client certificates for
authentication.

I have Cyrus IMAP working fine with Cyrus SASL and "AUTH=EXTERNAL" after
negotiating TLS... the IMAP daemon authenticate the user properly.

However, it chooses the CN from the client cert as the authentication
identity. With a bit of hacking to imap/tls.c I was able to convince it
to use the "email address" instead, but I'd rather not keep it this way...

I'll be happy to post a patch that allows for imapd.conf selection of
whether to use the CN or email address as the identity when
AUTH=EXTERNAL is used, but I'd like some input on what the configuration
option should be called, and whether it should be a boolean or a
multiple-choice option.