Postfix+Cyrus - Blank message-id: header results in bounced

Matt Goebel mgoebel at workforcesoftware.com
Thu Feb 24 02:24:26 EST 2005

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh said:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Matt Goebel wrote:
>> How would I go about telling postix to insert a message-id if one is not
>> there?  It DOESN'T do that now.  With Postfix+Dovecot I get the message
>
> It must, AFAIK. BTW, a broken message-id is not the same as no message-id.
> If the message-id header is there but empty (or broken), postfix won't
> replace it AFAIK.

That's the problem.  The message-id header is there but blank.  It's
clearly a broken client (Lotus Notes) that's doing it.  Unfortunetly I
have no control over users outside my domain and I have to support
messages from them.  There's a easy way to reproduce/test this without
using lotus notes:

"sendmail -i user at mydomain.tld < email.txt"

where "email.txt" contains: