Postfix+Cyrus - Blank message-id: header results in bounced

Matt Goebel mgoebel at workforcesoftware.com
Thu Feb 24 10:36:43 EST 2005

Cristi Mitrana said:
> Matt Goebel wrote:
>
>>Henrique de Moraes Holschuh said:

>>>It must, AFAIK. BTW, a broken message-id is not the same as no
>>> message-id.
>>>If the message-id header is there but empty (or broken), postfix won't
>>>replace it AFAIK.
>>>

>>That's the problem.  The message-id header is there but blank.  It's
>>clearly a broken client (Lotus Notes) that's doing it.  Unfortunetly I
>>have no control over users outside my domain and I have to support
>>messages from them.  There's a easy way to reproduce/test this without
>>using lotus notes:
>>
>>"sendmail -i user at mydomain.tld < email.txt"
>>
>>where "email.txt" contains:
>>
>>Subject: Mail Delivery Problem Test
>>To: user at mydomain.tld
>>From: admin at mydomain.tld
>>Date: 22-Feb-2005 09:21:51 tPST
>>

>  Actually I tested with sendmail and cyrus accepts it without problems,
> I'm using the cyrus from debian testing (2.1.17) and delivery works fine.
> 'sendmail' is actually the postfix 'sendmail'  command and it delivers
> happily
> to lmtpd without any problems.
>
>  What version are you using ? any patches applied ?
>
> mitu
>
> ---

The sendmail command I refered to is part of the postfix program as you've
stated.  No relation to the Sendmail SMTP server.

Does Sendmail (SMTP) rewrite the blank message-id?  I've pretty much
narrowed it down to cyrus here.

I'm running postfix-2.1.5-2.4.FC3  (standard Fedora core 3 RPM, except
I've recompiled with with MySQL support), cyrus-imapd-2.2.10-3.fc3
(standard Fedora core 3 RPM, which I swapped out the autocreate patch for
the newest one so I could auto create sieve scripts, and rebuilt the RPM),
mailscanner-4.36.4-1, clamav-0.83-1, and spamassassin-3.0.1-0.FC3.