Using DB_CONFIG (how?)

Stephan A. Rickauer stephan at ini.phys.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 24 08:53:04 EST 2005

Folks,

our Institute runs a Cyrus 2.2.3 on a SuSE Box 9.1 for two month without
a problem (~100 mail accounts). Today, we have got the well known error
message:

DBERROR db4: Logging region out of memory; you may need to increase its size
DBERROR: opening /drbd/system/var/lib/imap/deliver.db: Cannot allocate
memory

With the help of this list I found out that this refers to the way DB is
configured. I also found out, that I should increase "Log record cache
size" and "Log region size" (set_lg_regionmax 131072 and set_lg_bsize
524288) by creating a file called "DB_CONFIG" in my DB_HOME.

Let me tell you what I did not find out :)

My DB_HOME is nowhere set as an environment variable, but given that my
db's are stored in /drbd/system/var/lib/imap/ I assume that this is it.
Hence, I stored the DB_CONFIG file in there -- listing the parameters
given above. After restarting cyrusd I checked the config with "db_stat
/drbd/system/var/lib/imap/deliver.db -l" ... but neither of the two
parameters have been adjusted.

I think I miss a step somewhere and I do not know for sure what my
DB_HOME is .. is there a way to find out? I've also read about some
"db_recover" and that it should be run before starting cyrus again. But
any help on this topic is really appreciated, since I am not a Berkeley
DB master at all... and since this is my life db ... well, you know.

Thanks a lot!

--

Stephan A. Rickauer

----------------------------