Log-File : format/how to view it?

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 17 07:55:54 EST 2005

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, tschloss at web.de wrote:

> I found a detailed log file config-dir/db/00000001.log (3,6 MB) This
> file seems to be partially binary. Is there a tool for viewing it or a
> format description? It ist worthless for me in this state.

That file is a transaction log for the Berkeley DB databases used by Cyrus
(which is unlikely to include the mboxlist database these days).  It is
not intended for human consumption.

Log entries intended for system administrators are sent to syslog. Cyrus
doesn't log information about mailboxes and messages which are deleted.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.