Cyrus IMAPd 2.3.0 use of gcc extensions?

Nicholas Brealey nick at brealey.org
Tue Dec 13 14:34:05 EST 2005

I just built Cyrus IMAP 2.3.0 on Solaris 10 using the Sun Studio 11
compilers (both Solaris and the compilers are free now).

The new flushseenstate option is very welcome.

I had to make the following changes to get it to compile and link. I
don't know if the problem is with the code using extensions to the C
standard or with the Sun compiler not accepting things which should be
legal.

I found some discussion about the problems with the gcc inline extension
realtive to the C99 standard here:

http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2003/03/inline.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Inline.html

The error messages from mbdump.c were:

"mbdump.c", line 152: non-constant initializer involving a cast
"mbdump.c", line 153: non-constant initializer involving a cast
"mbdump.c", line 154: non-constant initializer involving a cast

I am not enough of a language lawyer to know if the code is leagal.

Regards

Nick