Cyrus Notifications

Kris McNeil mcneil.kris at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 13:46:55 EST 2005

Hello,

I'm working with a Cyrus IMAP4 server and am looking for a way to
configure the server to notify my email client when new mail arrives
(without the client having to poll the server). I have read about
Zephyr and the ability to receive 'new mail' notifications, but it
seems that Zephyr will only provide basic information about the new
message(s), i.e. the sender & recipient addresses and the subject. I'm
actually looking for a way for the server to send the IMAP4 message
UID as part of the notification so that the client can then easily
fetch the correct message without performing any searches.

Is there a mechanism in IMAP4, or Cyrus specifically, that is capable
of this, or perhaps any third party software that could do this for a
Cyrus server? The end goal is to simultaneously monitor thousands of
mailboxes for new email without burdening the server(s) any more than
is absolutely necessary - server-initiated notification is obviously
preferred over client-initiated polling.

Similarly, I'm also looking for a way to be notified of message flag
changes, such as when email has been read, unread or deleted. Do you
have any suggestions for this, aside from using IMAP4 to poll (or use
IDLE) for untagged responses?

Thank you,
Kris