Problems with Trash/Sent folders

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Fri Dec 2 17:57:10 EST 2005

I'm having a weird problem with a new cyrus install: Thunderbird/Mozilla
are hanging saving an outgoing message to the Sent folder.  It appears
that they're dealing badly with problem with the cyrus installation.
I've used cyradm to delete and recreate the user mailbox, to no avail.
This is "strings" of the tcpdump of the session; it shows that
Thunderbird is looking for the Trash and Sent folders, then trying to
create them when they don't show up and getting "permission denied".
The directory listing following shows that at least the Sent folder does
in fact exist...

* OK mailstore02.server.peak.org Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 server ready
7 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 SASL-IR
7 OK Completed
8 LOGIN {6}
+ go ahead
vanyel {6}* OK mailstore02.server.peak.org Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 server ready
flim07 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 SASL-IR
flim07 OK Completed
flim08 LOGIN {6}
+ go ahead
vanyel {6}
+ go ahead
pass
flim08 OK User logged in
3 lsub "" "*"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.Sent"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.blah"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.ugga"
3 OK Completed (0.000 secs 4 calls)
4 list "" "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
4 OK Completed (0.000 secs 5 calls)
5 list "" "Trash"
5 OK Completed (0.000 secs 1 calls)
6 create "Trash"
6 NO Permission denied
7 select "INBOX"
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen NotJunk Junk NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen NotJunk
Junk NonJunk \*)]
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1132626958]
* OK [UIDNEXT 5]
7 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed
8 list "" "Sent"
8 OK Completed (0.000 secs 1 calls)
9 create "Sent"
9 NO Permission denied
 >wk@
10 close
?wn@
11 logout
o10 OK Completed
* BYE LOGOUT received
11 OK Completed

total 64
drwx------  5 cyrus mail 4096 Dec  2 14:48 ./
drwx------  3 cyrus mail 4096 Nov 21 18:35 ../
-rw-------  1 cyrus mail    4 Dec  2 14:48 cyrus.cache
-rw-------  1 cyrus mail  184 Nov 22 18:00 cyrus.header
-rw-------  1 cyrus mail   76 Dec  2 14:48 cyrus.index
drwx------  2 cyrus mail 4096 Nov 21 18:46 Sent/
drwx------  2 cyrus mail 4096 Nov 22 18:17 blah/
drwx------  2 cyrus mail 4096 Nov 21 18:45 ugga/

--
NOTE TO OUTLOOK USERS: Some versions of Outlook have a bug in
dealing with digitally signed email like the one you're now reading:

Alan Batie