sieve problem ?

Bob Tito lists at magicfingers.org
Fri Dec 2 06:27:44 EST 2005

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Yeah, the script for a at dom.ain has:
>
> vacation :addresses "b at dom.ain" ...

Yup...

> This is obviously something that makes no sense and IMO falls under
> the GIGO principal (garbage in, garbage out).
>
> The vacation code checks the headers to make sure that one of the
> recipients :addresses is listed to make sure that the message was sent
> directly to them (not some kind of redirect or a mailing list
> distribution).  It then uses the address that it finds as the From:
> address in the response since it will be a fully qualified email
> address (the envelope RCPT TO address most likely will not).
>
> So, in you case, the code happens to find b at dom.ain in the headers
> first and uses this as the From: address.
>
> I don't know what your user is trying to accomplish, but its clearly
> not going to work as expected.  I'd suggest you explain to the user
> what the :addresses field is for and have them use it properly, since
> I don't see anyway of working around this in the code without breaking
> the intended functionality.

Ken,

Ok, another case of 'hit any user to continue' ;-)
Thanks for looking into this and for the answer... I know, this does not
make any sense, but that is the way some users are ;-(

I had a small hope this could be prevented with a minor change, but alas....

I'll look into a small script tho check if the email-address matches the
inbox to prevent this in the future....

Thanks, Bob
--
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The opinions stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.