timsieved sasl missing - FIXED

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Dec 1 21:07:14 EST 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> Andrew Morgan wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been trying to setup timsieved on my test cyrus box (v2.2.12), but I
>>> seem to be missing something, probably obvious.
>>>
>>> I have a working installation of cyrus with imap, imaps, and lmtp.  I use
>>> saslauthd.  I added a stanza for timsieved in cyrus.conf, and I can
>>> successfully telnet to the sieve port.  sivtest returns the following:

>>> [root at mail1 config]# sivtest -a cyrus localhost
>>> S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.12"
>>> S: "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
>>> relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
>>> S: "STARTTLS"
>>> S: OK
>>> Authentication failed. generic failure
>>> Security strength factor: 0
>>>
>>> It never asks me for a password, and I appear to be missing a SASL
>>> capabilities line following the IMPLEMENTATION line.  I don't know why
>>> sieve isn't detecting my sasl settings from imapd.conf.  Here are my sasl
>>> settings:
>>
>> If you try imtest, do you get any AUTH=<mech> capabilities (I'm guessing
>> not).  I'm sure its detecting your SASL settings, but its not finding your
>> SASL plugins.  Where did you install them?  If they aren't in
>> /usr/lib/sasl2, you can just make a symlink from directory to directory.
>
> I don't see an AUTH=<mech> capabilities with imtest.  I'm using the Debian
> sarge libsasl2 package, which installed libsasldb libraries in
> /usr/lib/sasl2/.  However, I am using 'saslauthd -a pam', so I don't expect
> it to be looking for the sasl plugins anyways.

Replying to myself since I finally figured it out.  In Debian Sarge, the
README.Debian file for libsasl2 says:

IMPORTANT:
You MUST install one of the libsasl2-modules* packages for SASL to
work.  Otherwise postfix-tls won't speak TLS, Cyrus IMAPd won't
ever allow any users to login, and other SASL apps will malfuntion
in weird ways and there will be even more pain and sorrow in the
world (yours).

I still have no clue why cyrus-imapd works fine if I'm to believe what
this says, but after installing the 'libsasl2-modules' package, sivtest is
now correctly returning an AUTH method string and I can login with it:

S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.12"
S: "SASL" "PLAIN"
S: "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
S: "STARTTLS"
S: OK
Please enter your password:
C: AUTHENTICATE "PLAIN" {24+}

One of the files that libsasl2-modules installed was
/usr/lib/sasl2/libplain.so, which I assume is why sivtest and sieveshell
are working now.

Hopefully someone else can benefit from this in the list archives.

 	Andy