Cyrus - Sendmail .forward not working

gui gui at function.com
Thu Dec 1 20:51:38 EST 2005

hi Everybody

I am trying to use .foward in user home directory for the bsd vacation
command.
I'm using cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 and Sendmail 8.13.3 on Freebsd 5.4.

I followed the instructions in
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/install-FAQ.html as well as the
O'Reilly Managing IMAP book,
and entered a define('|CYRUS_MAILER_FLAGS','A5 at W') line (later I changed
it to CYRUSV2_MAILER_FLAGS')
in the sendmail M4 file (xxx.mc in /etc/mail).
But it didn't work.   The .forward file was not read at all.
|||I also tried changing the flags in
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/mailer/cyrusv2.m4, as well as in
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf
but all also didn't work.
My Cyrus user is also inside /etc/passwd, i.e., has a unix account, as
specified by the IMAP book.

My Cyrus is running fine.   And before converting to Cyrus, I was using
imap-uw and the .forward and vacation
commands worked fine too.

Can anybody help?    Why isn't the instructions
|define('CYRUS_MAILER_FLAGS','A5 at W')| not working?

Thank you very much in anticipation.

Gui

p.s. I don't want to use Sieve.

===

My references:

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/install-FAQ.html
Add a line define(`CYRUS_MAILER_FLAGS',`A5 at w') before the MAILER(cyrus)
line. The w flag tells sendmail that users are all in /etc/passwd so
it's okay to read it and find *~/.forward*. If users aren't in
/etc/passwd, don't do this.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html#12777
|MAILER(cyrus)|
On the line immediately following, add the statement:
|define('CYRUS_MAILER_FLAGS','A5 at W')
|The /w/ flag tells sendmail that users exist in //etc/passwd/ and that
it should look for a /~/.forward/ in the user's home directory.