unixhierarchy from false to true

Tue Aug 30 08:05:36 EDT 2005

>> Stupid question really, but... ... Some time ago, I built a
>> cyrus-imapd server with some defaults options. Everything works
>> really fine. Today, I'm going to need to add some new users with a
>> dot in their name, like joe.1 and joe.2. I _know_ this is possible
>> using the "unixhierarchy" option in imapd.conf, but I was concerned
>> about turning on this option now that I already have created
>> mailboxes without it turned on. I mean, can I just enable and use
>> this option or will it do some nasty things to my already running
>> setup/mailboxes ?

> ---- shouldn't matter - it's really an interface issue.

Ok, so, just for clarification (I'm gonna be making this decision in the
next day or two)...

What is the advantage/disadvantage? Is the only difference the ability
to use the dot in foldernames? In other words, if you set this to true,
do you *lose* anything?

Just curious why it is set to off by default.

Thanks,

--

Charles