Empty messages and imapd crashing

Ville Jorma ville.jorma at iki.fi
Fri Aug 26 14:01:16 EDT 2005

Dear list,

We're running Cyrus imapd 2.1.14 and cyrus sasl 2.1.14 on Solaris 9 Sparc.
Recently, some of our user accounts have started to have problems as follows:

1) Empty messages

Some users are seeing empty messages via imap. Messages can't be
opened with any e-mail client, they just appear on the message list
with no subject or any other data with date set to 1.1.1970 03:00.

When viewed from the imap server with less, theese messages seem to be
just fine, but via imap they seem empty. If a user deletes such empty
message, the actual message _with_ content will be deleted. I've tried
running recontruct(8) on theese boxes but it didn't help.

2) imapd crashes on login attempt

Some users are completely unable to login via imap. When theese users try to
login, a normal message is found from imap log:

Aug 26 20:03:28 cyrus-server imapd[3603]: [ID 237943 local6.notice] login: client.example.com[10.0.0.10] username plaintext

Then, imapd crashes and leves a core file at the users mailbox directory.
Users affected by this problem are experiencing it every time.

We're getting a lot of messages like

Aug 26 20:41:25 cyrus-server master[8899]: [ID 970914 local6.error] process 3451 exited, signaled to death
by 11

During high traffic we get theese messages 1-5 per second.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ville Jorma

--