duplicate elimination is inconsistent

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Fri Aug 26 13:12:08 EDT 2005

Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am using cyrus 2.2.3-8 on Fedora ( C 1 ) I find that duplicate
> elimination does not happen always.
> I feel If the MTA delivers two mails ( duplicate ) almost simultaneously
> to lmtp. Then lmtp is unable to catch duplicate messages.
>
> Anyone else having this problem

I've seen this on my server. While researching the problem I read
somewhere that the duplicate supression was a "best-effort"
implementation. Yes, it should only happen when two different lmtpds are
trying to add the same message to the same mailbox at the same time. But
from what I understand it's not easy to fix this without creating
performance problems.

-Jules