email loss!

Bing Du bdu at iastate.edu
Thu Aug 25 09:22:50 EDT 2005

>> Cyrus imap server (2.2.10)
>> Linux 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri May 20 18:26:27 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386
>> GNU/Linux
>>
>> I have several folders.  All of a sudden,
>> all the emails in my INBOX are gone!!!  Other folders look fine though.
>>  Those gone INBOX messages are not found in the TRASH folder either.
>> Where did they go?
>>
>> Anybody want to give me some hints what could have happened, where on
>> the server to look for possible evidences?  Not familiar with cyrus,
>> where
>> are the mail logs stored?

I use SquirreMail 1.4.3a-9.EL4 as mail client.  It's web based.  I did not
do anything special.  As the first I do every morning, I just went through
various folders and deleted those messages I did not want to keep after I
read.  I have root access to the mail server.  Under my mail directory, I
don't see any additional folder created to store those lost messages due
to INBOX over quota.  We don't have quota on INBOX here.

The thing confused me is if it was me who deleted all the messages in
INBOX, say by accident, those messages should be saved in the TRASH
folders.  However, the TRASH folder just had old trash and the newly
deleted messages that I was aware of.  In another word, those lost INBOX
emails are not found in the TRASH folder.

Any other thoughts, anybody?

Bing