Cyrus-Postfix-PgSQL-Squirrelmail-WebCyrAdm and Spamass

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Wed Aug 17 13:31:07 EDT 2005

O/S -> FC3

I'm running a great setup that works great with
Cyrus-Postfix-PgSQL-SquirrelMail-WebCyrAdm-Spamassassin.  Its on an
older system (450MHz w/ 1GB RAM) with a SCSI HD dedicated to the mail
store.  Everything works great and fast enough to handle the volume of
my users (about 25), except for one thing...  Spamassassin!  I'm running
it in spamd and spamc mode, but even so when a few email hit the system
and goes through the filter (in master.cf) the system starts crawling.
I watch this happen and it the CPU utilization goes to 99% when spamc is
called (-> with mutiple email -> mutiple processes).  The good news is
that even slowly, it continues to work.  The bad news is I'm afraid that
there are probably timeouts happening.

I've searched for information on this and I had a hard time trying to
find agreement on the exact cause and remedy.  Most people say the 512MB
is needed, which I have doubled, and add an entery to the
/etc/sysconfig/spamassassin command line options argument of
"--max-conn-per-child=5".  I've done this and I can not really tell if
things are getting better or not.  So...  What I'm wondering... Is:

Does anyone have any other things that I may try to get spamassassin to
work a bit better?  TIA