.forward, procmail, cyrus combination does not work!

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Wed Aug 10 04:21:57 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I've a problem with the combination procmail/cyrus.

My system:
1) I've the chain fetchmail > procmail > cyrus that works perfectly. All
mails arrive, are sorted out, very nice. Procmail has it's rc file
in /etc, no per-user procmail files.

2) I'm also receiving some mails for other domains directly in my
computer. This uses the chain postfix > procmail > cyrus. The first two
appear to work fine, the mail however gets lost when delivered from
procmail to cyrus.

What I have tested:
- no .forward file installed: Postfix receives the mail and puts it in
my mailbox, and I can read it. That's OK.
- when I have a .forward file with contents "|/usr/bin/procmail" I can
see in the logs that it has been delivered to procmail, and procmail's
log indicates it has been delivered to cyrus with the normal command.
However I do not see a notice of this mail arrival in the cyrus log, nor
does it appear in my inbox. Something goes wrong here!

Any idea where it can go wrong?
Or any idea what to do to further diagnose the system?

Thanks.

Wouter.