Making Cyrus use the saslpasswd?

Edward Corrado corrado at tcnj.edu
Mon Aug 1 11:06:49 EDT 2005

Hello All,

I have a Cyrus IMAP install (2.1.x on RH 9 with Fedora Legacy updates)
and when someone checks there mail, it is authenticating against the
password in /etc/passwd (well, /etc/shadow really) instead of the
password created in the sasl database using saslpasswd. I'd like it to
use the sasl password if possible (which it seems it is), however, I
can't seem to figure out what to change to make it use the passwords
created by saslpasswd instead of the "regular" password on this system
The /etc/imapd.conf file contains the following two lines:

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

It seems that maybe changing the second one could be of some help, but I
don't know what it should be. In case it helps, the whole imapd.conf
file is:

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Edward