cyrus password no longer authenticates to server

Mike Partyka Mike.Partyka at jumpnode.com
Sun Aug 7 13:30:45 EDT 2005

I had a working cyrus-imapd installation and had successfully added
an account in the following way.

# First set password for cyrus account
saslpasswd cyrus

# Using the cyrus account i initially used the command line below to
create an initial account.
cyradm -u cyrus mydomain.com
mydomain>cm myself
mydomain>exit

# Today i attempted to create another mailbox and got the following
error.
myself at sand ~ $ cyradm -user cyrus mydomain.com
IMAP Password:
               Login failed: authentication failure at /usr/lib/perl5/
site_perl/5.8.6/i686-linux/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 118
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with  as cyrus

# The /var/log/messages file just reiterates the failure to
authenticate so really doesn't tell me anything i didn't know

# I have reset/recreated the cyrus account and password with the
saslpasswd2 command but i continue to get the error above though i
know i am using the correct password i just can't authenticate to the
server mydomain.com

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what might need to be done in
order for me to be able to login to mydomain.com using the cyrus
account?

Here is my /etc/imapd.conf

# Use this if sieve-scripts could be in ~user/.sieve.
#sieveusehomedir:       yes

# Use saslauthd if you want to use pam for imap.
# But be warned: login with DIGEST-MD5 or CRAM-MD5
# is not possible using pam.
sasl_pwcheck_method:    saslauthd
lmtp_downcase_rcpt:     yes

## This is a recommended authentication method if you
## emerge cyrus-sasl with 'postgres' or 'mysql'
## To use with mysql database uncomment those lines below.

#sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
#sasl_auxprop_plugin: sql

## possible values for sasl_auxprop_plugin 'mysql', 'pgsql', 'sqlite'.
#sasl_sql_engine: mysql

## all possible values.
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
## or limit to CRAM-MD5 only