Imap timeout with 27k messages...

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Aug 8 14:20:42 EDT 2005

Jared Watkins wrote:
> Hello all..
>
> I have a situation here where an 'exempt' user has accumulated nearly
> 27k messages and 1.5G of mail in their sent items folder and now any
> attempt to access this folder has imap timeout problems and stuck
> processes.  The cyradm utility is also not able to work with the
> folder... attempts to rename.. or reconstruct it results in a stuck
> process.  This under RHEL3 with reiserfs and cyrus 2.2.3.. I've reviewed
> the changelog and I don't see anything obviously related to this up to
> 2.2.12.
>
> Any ideas on what might be causing this... or what I can do to fix it...
> short of deleting the folder?

Are you sure that reconstruct gets "stuck" or are you just not waiting
long enough for it to finish?  Cyrus has no problem with mailboxes of
this size.  The info-cyrus archive mailbox at CMU (which I read the list
from) currently has 36K messages in it.

Software Engineer     2495 Main St. - Suite 401
716-604-0088 x26      Buffalo, NY 14214