DB Errors

Andreas Hasenack andreas at conectiva.com.br
Fri Apr 22 09:29:31 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 03:05:31PM -0700, Daniel Hazelbaker wrote:
> YDL 4.0 (This started a month or two after upgrading to YDL 4.0, can't
> say if it is related)
> cyrus-imapd 2.2.10 (release 3.yd4)
> cyrus-sasl 2.1.18 (release 2.2)
> db4 4.2.52 (release 3.1.ydl.1)

Could you verify that this db4 package has the two official sleepycat
patches applied?

> compat-db 4.1.25 (release 2.1)

Does anything use this one? ldd the cyrus-imapd binaries to make sure
you are not using a mix of different DB4 versions.

> If there is any other information I can give, please let me know.  The
> situation is getting bad, we are having to "service cyrus-imapd
> restart" almost every morning (doing so fixes the problem until the
> next morningish time).

Do you have a DB_CONFIG file in /var/lib/imap/db/? It's needed for some
installations. I have one with the following, it may get you started:

# Sample BDB configuration file.
# Please adjust as necessary!
# See http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/893.html for hints and tips
# even if you are not using openldap.

# cache
# use "db4.2_stat -m" to measure cache performance
# see http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/env_set_cachesize.html
# syntax: gigabytes_of_cache additional_bytes_of_cache number_of_caches
set_cachesize 0 524288 1

# buffer size for transaction log
# The default of 32Kbytes is too small
# see http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/env_set_lg_bsize.html
set_lg_bsize 524288

# other options you may be interested in

# set_lg_dir: configure a separate directory for the transaction logs
# For optimum performance, these should reside on a different disk
# see http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/env_set_lg_dir.html

# set_lg_max: configure the maximum size of the transaction log file, in bytes
# See http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/env_set_lg_max.html
# Note that lg_max must at least be 4x the size of lg_bsize. The default is 10Mb.