IMAP session minor issue - clarification needed

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Fri Apr 1 11:15:39 EST 2005

Hi all.

I have Cyrus IMAP 2.2.10 on 12 servers. I have noticed a strange issue
when my users use IMAP service. Maybe it is a feature...

When they connect and establish session and they mark a message read,
that state is not propagated to other established sessions. For
instance, if I open both Outlook Express and Mozilla and send a new
message to my own account, they both show it. If one or the other marks
the message as read, the other client will not show it, no matter what
time I chhose to wait. BUT, if I delete a message, any message, the
state gets propagated to the other client. Is this normal?

The problem my users have is with the notification software. We are
using "Ham", a small IMAP mail checker. So, when a new message arrives,
Ham alerts the user. The user reads the mail and marks the message as
unread, but Ham keeps ringing about new messages, although there is
none. I would like to overcome this problem. It doesn't directly target
me, I get 200+ messages daily, so notification is of no importance to
me. Most of my users are not so "lucky" and they don't want to keep the
email client up all the time. They would liek to have reliable new mail
notification.

I could try to use POPalarm, since both POP3 and IMAP4 are enabled, but
that is an ugly workaround.

Nix.