IMAP session minor issue - clarification needed

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 06:26:28 EDT 2005

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> > Wait a minute, is this plain Cyrus IMAP 2.2.12 or a patched one? There is
> > an OE seen state patch floating around which I've included in my rpms and
> > IIRC it just fixes the problem discussed here. IIRC the patch is really a
> > hack but at least it does work.
>
> that would presumably be this:
>
> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/patches/2.1.16/
>    OutLookExpress-seenstate.patch

There was a small bug in that patch: idled wasn't getting pinged properly.

It looks like I fixed this in my main source tree but forgot to roll a
standalone patch. Given that the problem doesn't seem to be specific to
OutlookExpress, the patch is now just:

  http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/
    patches/2.1.16/seenstate.patch

People are reading too much into the "hack" comment. I consider this to be
a hack in the sense that it is making Cyrus do something a little daft to
cope with broken user agents. A different implementation of the same basic
idea has gone into 2.3 as a new option "flushseenstate".

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.