Cyrus 2.2.6 (Fedora Core 3) + Sendmail 8.13.1 + Virtual Domains

Anthony Tibbs anthony-list at tibbs.ca
Sun Apr 10 01:35:56 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the mailing list, though I've been running Cyrus as
something of my own personal IMAP server for the past 3 years, without a
problem.  I'm just setting it up again on a new system, though, and decided
to do it the 'right' way this time, and prepare for virtual domains right
from the get-go.  (On my old setup, I ended up using table mappings, etc. to
make this work without actually using Cyrus' virtdomains... it worked, but
was a bit of a pain.)

Right now, everything is working, but I had to do some kludging to *get* it
to deliver mail locally.  In particular, I've found the information about
the "cyrusv2d" mailer for Sendmail, which is (supposed) to not strip the
domain part of recipient addresses.  Alas, even delivering via cyrusv2d,
Sendmail is still stripping the domain portion of local addresses (as
evidenced by sendmail -bt tests).

The solution, for now?  Take the relevant domain out of
/etc/mail/local-host-names, plunk it into /etc/mail/access as a
To:mydomain.com RELAY entry.

I don't think this is how it is supposed to work, though, and I've got this
nagging feeling that one of these days, this is going to prove to be a
really problematic way of fixing it.  :)

Is there a "better" way that I've missed, given that 'cyrusv2d' doesn't seem
to be doing the trick?

Take care,
Anthony Tibbs