Murder / Moving accounts between servers

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Apr 12 12:36:00 EDT 2005

steven wright wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I intend to move from a single server with Cyrus to multiple servers
> with Cyrus.
> As I don't need to share folders between users I'm unsure if I should
> use Cyrus Murder with a few frontends or separate Cyrus servers with
> Perdition as the frontend.
>
> One thing I would really like is the ability to automatically balance
> the number of users on backend servers by moving them around with
> scripts called via cron.
>
> I understand from "install-murder.html" that moving a user between
> backend servers within a Murder is just one simple command but not 100%
> foolproof.
> If I'm reading "install-murder.html" correctly, the not foolproof
> statement seems to only apply if I don't move a mailbox's entire trees
> of sub-folders.
>
> Provided I only move entire accounts (including all sub-folders) am I
> likely to encounter problems ?
>
> Also, are there any other reasons I should go down the Murder /
> Perdition route ?

If you truely have no intention of sharing folders, then I would use
Perdition - you have no use for the extra complexity of Murder.

In either case, you can move mailboxes between backend servers using the
Cyrus-specific XFER command.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127