Mailbox access control with ldap for group

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Thu Apr 21 04:29:53 EDT 2005

> Hello,
> I already use| setaclmailbox with an Unix group as "id". But I'd like to
> do the same with an ldap group.
>
> Is'it possible ? I didn't find anything on google.

You can configure /etc/nsswitch.conf to use LDAP for groups. Check with
'getent group' that your LDAP groups are visible to the system.
There is one issue with this solution: If your LDAP groups are large or
your LDAP is slow, all IMAP access is also slow. Using nscd doesn't work
here, at least on Linux. I have therefore created a groupcache patch for
cyrus which chaches the groups in a file for faster access. The patch is
in my rpms and also available here:
http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/scripts/groupcache/

The groupcache can be updated via cyrus master with a entry like this in
/etc/cyrus.conf EVENTS section:

  groupcache    cmd="upd_groupcache" period=5

Regards,
Simon