crypto mailbox

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Fri Apr 22 13:43:38 EDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Natalino Picone wrote:

> Hi all,
> i was wondering if there is a way to crypt the user mail spool in order to
> avoid that other users (root included) can read the user mailbox content.
> Something like gpg encryption on the mail file. Any idea ?

I had an idea for this where basically you'd put a public key into an
annotation on a mailbox, and all mail payloads (not the headers) would be
encrypted. It breaks things like search, but has the benefit you want. But
it's low on the list of things to do. You could do similar with a sendmail
milter or somesuch.