crypto mailbox

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Fri Apr 22 14:45:36 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Cyrus Daboo wrote:

> Hi Derrick,
[]

> Even with that there is still a 'window of opportunity' in which the clear
> text message data exists somewhere on the machine (in a temp file, resident
> in memory etc) and root will likely be able to get to it. The bottom line is

To be honest my target was more along the line of Sam Weiler's worries,
namely, for people who are paranoid a warrant will show up and their
machine will walk away. Presumably there's still the "wiretap" equivalent
problem (someone gets a copy of the data before it's encrypted) but if it
went over the wire in the clear you already have that problem. This only
precludes the bits from being available at a later time, not any time up
until they're encrypted.