Message contains NUL characters ...

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Apr 28 14:14:22 EDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, John Fawcett wrote:
> postfix can do it with a content filter. I just wondered whether
> there was any chance of a patch being accepted in cyrus?
>
> I mean that would address the problem at it's root instead of
> working round it in n different MTAs.

You don't seem to get it.  The RFCs forbid NULs.  What Cyrus is rejecting
may be anything, but an email it is not.

The root of the problem is that we don't get to drive out of business anyone
or any company that sells/produces/distributes crap that generates embedded
NULs in what is supposed to be an email.

> Any ideas on whether that would be an acceptable approach?

The correct place to do it is in the MTA.  Doing it in the MTA means you get
the trash out before anything else has a chance to bounce it back, log it,
store it, or whatever.

Which doesn't mean I would be against a good patch for Cyrus, but I would
rather the MTAs started either fixing or rejecting all such crap worldwide.
If exim, sendmail and postfix rejected broken messages, that would be enough
to make it impossible to tolerate for the users of NUL-generating crap.

  Henrique Holschuh