Message contains NUL characters ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Thu Apr 28 15:51:47 EDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Amos wrote:

> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>>
>> The correct place to do it is in the MTA.  Doing it in the MTA means you
>> get
>> the trash out before anything else has a chance to bounce it back, log it,
>> store it, or whatever.
>>
>> Which doesn't mean I would be against a good patch for Cyrus, but I would
>> rather the MTAs started either fixing or rejecting all such crap worldwide.
>> If exim, sendmail and postfix rejected broken messages, that would be
>> enough
>> to make it impossible to tolerate for the users of NUL-generating crap.
>>

> Maybe *ideally* it needs to be fixed by the MTA. However, just casually
> following this list and the postfix-users list, whenever the issue of NUL
> characters have come up, it has always been centered around Cyrus. I know
> that there are folks using Postfix with other IMAP servers, and never once
> have I noticed this topic in relation to these systems. As best as I can
> recall, it has always been in relation to Cyrus.

*If* NUL is forbidden in the RFCs as someone has suggested, then Cyrus is
doing the right thing by being more 'strict' and making sure that it
conforms ... perseonally, something I don't have a problem with ... but,
someone else indicated that it wasn't forbidden ...

If it is actually forbidden though, then we should be starting to petition
the MTA developers, with 'ammo in hand', to fix the MTAs themselves ...

----