Message contains NUL characters ...

John Fawcett johnml at michaweb.net
Thu Apr 28 12:36:35 EDT 2005

Igor Brezac wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, John Fawcett wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know whether a patch for cyrus to strip out nuls would be
>>> welcome?
>>

>> Make it clean, and optional (as in either reject the message, or
>> remove the
>> NULs...), and I don't see why not.  The default would need to be reject,
>> though.

oops I replied to the last mail without seeing these follow-ups.

> I think we are saying the same thing: the current behaviour needs to be
> default.

> I personaly think that this filtering belongs in MTA.

intervening in cyrus just means having a solution to a limit
imposed by cyrus (or imap) regardless of the MTA in use.

I think there is little interest in patching MTAs. I imagine
that not every delivery agent/message store will reject NULs
so there is no need for the MTA to strip them out.

John