Message contains NUL characters ...

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Apr 28 15:41:38 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 14:57 -0400, Igor Brezac wrote:

> > that not every delivery agent/message store will reject NULs
> > so there is no need for the MTA to strip them out.
>
> So cyrus should also be broken?

I don't know if it's fair to say they're broken; conventional wisdom
says "be strict in what you send and flexible in what you receive";
seems like this would definitely fall into that.  (Of course, just
passing the message with the NULLs in tact would be broken, because then
the MUAs would have to deal with them.)

That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement an LMTP proxy that
sits between the MTA and Cyrus.  An LMTP proxy could also plug-in to
Postfix's content_filter mechanism.  Could probably also be written as a
SpamAssassin rule.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *