case sensitivity

Dennis Davis D.H.Davis at bath.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 08:27:47 EDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no>
> To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:11:47 +0200
> Subject: case sensitivity
>
> I discovered by accident that lmtpd (or possibly deliver, or both) is
> case-sensitive; mail to DES at DES.NO will bounce with
>
> 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
> 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
>
> Is this intentional?  It doesn't seem right; mail addresses are
> supposed to be case insensitive.

Not quite.  The spec (RFC2822 I think) mandates that mail domain
names are case insensitive.  The local part is case sensitive.

> Can this be fixed in Cyrus, or do I have to set up my SMTP server
> (Postfix) to lowercase the address before delivering each message
> to Cyrus?

Others have pointed out how to do this in Cyrus.  I believe most
modern MTAs have facilities for handling local parts as case
insensitive.  For example it's the default with Exim unless you set
caseful_local_part as a router option.
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis at bath.ac.uk               Phone: +44 1225 386101