Cyrus crashed on redundant platform - need better availability?

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Fri Sep 10 15:45:21 EDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:32:33 +0200
Paul Dekkers <Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl> wrote:

> Hmm, then your fscks will run faster/with less problems, but there is
> still outage that you can prevent if there is failover in another way
> and availability/replication on the application level.
> If there are replicated spools it doesn't matter if the fsck takes long
> or not... although there will be a backlog of course.

Yes, but right now there are no replicated spools on the app level so i'm
doing the best i can as a sysadmin :)

> Is it possible to have an fsck running on one partition and have cyrus
> started already (so part of the mail-store, e.g. archives, is not
> available yet?)

Not that i know ... i guess cyrus would be spewing lots of i/o errors back
at you for the mailboxes that are on that fscking partition ;)

> >The only high availability i see here is the google way. Cyrus is
> >offering you that with the 'murder' component.
> >
> That's not really availability, but distributed risk.

Exactly ... with murder taking care of keeping duplicated mailboxes in sync
over a pool of backend machines (as i mentioned in the other mail), this
would be perfect for all of us, i guess.

> >BTW, you're mentioning FreeBSD ... doesn't it have some sort of
> >background fsck while the filesystem is moutned rw?
> >
> It can, but I'm not sure if that's what I prefer. I'm not sure how
> mature it is with FreeBSD, and I prefer to have mail-integrety over a
> "quick restore".

I can't speak about maturity of a certain FreeBSD component as i'm a linux
guy, but what i hear it should just work.

--

Jure Pečar