Cyrus crashed on redundant platform - need better availability?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 15 11:44:45 EDT 2004

Paul Dekkers wrote:

> David Carter wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Paul Dekkers wrote:
>>
>>> On the other hand, if there is a application level redundancy on its
>>> way, it doesn't really matter on what platform the machine runs, so
>>> it would still make me happier and even with FreeBSD. And I would
>>> rather put my money there. Even if it means we'll have to wait for
>>> some months,
>>

>> I wouldn't hold out hope of anything being available in "some months".
>>
>> I wrote my replication code two years ago, and submitted it to Rob and
>> Ken about this time last year. Neither I or they have put any
>> significant work into the code since then. As I indicated in my
>

> I can imagine, but I hoped that priorities would change a bit with the
> amount of users that repeatedly
> <http://www.interglot.com/toclipboard.php?b=1&d=2&t=herhaaldelijk&s=herhaaldelijk&w=repeatedly>showed

This link appears dead.  All I get is "To clipboard".

> interest in this feature and with the money we are willing to put in :-|

I'm willing to work on it if there is money available.  You are the only
one that has says that you would commit money.  Where are the rest of
the folks?  Based on the number of people that stepped up to pay for
virtdomains support (zero), I'm guessing there are fewer out there
willing to spend money than you think.  But I could be wrong.

Other than the altnamespace project ($5000) that I did for a (unnamed)
company in Texas, Jeremy Howard at Fastmail is the only one who has
consistently paid for features.  I'll let him disclose what he has
spent, if he chooses to, but its safe to say that its been more than
just pizza and beer.

I'd have to look at David's patch again and discuss things with CMU to
get a good time estimate, but I'm guessing that a project like this
would cost a few thousand dollars.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127